Have you ever sliced a tomato or filleted a fish or chopped onions with a dull knife?
It’s a pain in the rear to say the least! And using top rated knife sharpeners and stones is a quick way to keep a nice sharp edge on your knives to make your life just a little bit easier and safer!
The Best knife sharpeners and stones will incorporate safety features making them easy to use with the ability to sharpen knives quickly and safely. Top rated knife sharpening stones should have built in safety features and offer a means of sharpening knife blades easily in a variety of different environments.
When shopping for a knife sharpener or sharpening stone it’s important to realize that different types of knives may require different sharpener styles. An electric kitchen knife sharpener isn’t going to be your best bet for sharping large, serrated blade hunting knives for example.
Knives play an essential role in our lives. We use them in the kitchen for cooking, and also are useful in therapeutic areas. They are among the tools that we use for our daily practices. Keeping your knives sharp, therefore, is an ideal thing. There are a lot of challenges that come along with having a dull knife.
First is that they are slow in cutting, and therefore, time-wasting. Another thing is that they can slide and cause injuries to the user.
That’s right, safer. Cutting, slicing and dicing things with dull knives can be dangerous because you need to put extra pressure on the blade iin order fo it to work. That extra pressure increases the odds of the blade slipping and causing injury. This is one reason it’s important to read knife sharpener reviews priot to making a buying decision.
Having a knife sharpener with you helps to do away with these problems. When purchasing a knife sharpener, you need to make sure that you are buying one that is easy to use and safe. The sharpener should also be easy to carry around. In this article, we discuss different types of knife sharpeners and stones that you’ll find in the market.
The Best Knife Sharpener & Stone Reviews
1. Top Rated Hunting Knife Sharpeners and Stones
When you go out hunting, you must carry a knife for gutting, skinning and cleaning your prey. That makes it easy to carry only the needed parts of your game. To do this, you need to have sharpened hunting knives.
At times, your knife might get dull while in use. For this reason, you need to buy yourself a hunting knife sharpener. Make sure to pick one with the following characteristics;
- Sturdy making that makes it durable to withstand hard hunting blades
- Portable sharpeners and stones are ideal as you’ll have to carry them to the hunting fields,
- A small size to comfortably fit into your backpack
2. Hi-Quality Belt Knife Sharpeners and Stones
If you own a big company or have to deal with many blades, the belt knife sharpener and stones will be a great idea.
For example, electric belt sharpeners are suitable for slaughterhouses. restraunts, commercial kitchens and butcher shops. Some of the characterstics you should look out for include;
- A sturdy design to withstand heavy and hard cutting blades,
- Also, consider picking on those that are electric as they are the most convenient, and
- Also, choose a sharpener that is easy to install and connect with a power supply.
The primary disadvantage with these sharpeners is the fact that they are not portable. As such, they are only convenient for industrial and commercial purposes or in large kitchen areas.
3. Fillet Knife Sharpeners and Stones
For fish preparation, you need to have a knife that will not waste most of your meat. Cheap fillet knives will not hold their edge and will make cutting along fish bones cleanly very difficult.
Cheap fillet knives are also very dangerous because they can slip and cause injuries.
That is the reason why you need to make sure your fillet knife is always sharp. Some of the characteristics of a good fillet knife sharpener include;
- Specially designed for thin fillet knives. That ensures that the sharpener does not limit the service life of your knife.
- Check out to ensure that the sharpener is portable. At times you might need it in your fishing boat.
4. Premium Quality Pocket Knife Sharpeners and Stones
Pocket knives are great for hiking, camping, fishing, hunting and ever day use around the home and garden. To ensure that they serve their purpose when needed, you need to keep them sharp.
A few of pocket knife sharpeners characteristics include;
- Small in size for easy portability,
- Ability to sharpen blades of different sizes.
- Applicable to most, if not all, types of pocket knives in the market.
5. Best Serrated Knife Sharpeners and Stones
Serrated blades are not easy to sharpen. They are saw-like and will get dull within a short while when in use. Serrated knife blades can be tough on sharpeners as well so it’s important to buy a high quality unit that can stand up to the abuse the serrated blades dish out.
Selecting their sharpeners is no easy task. Some of the features that you need to look out for include;
- The sharpener should come in a convenient V-shape so that it can comfortably fit within the sharpening groove;
- Also should feature a comfortable and slide-resistant handle to avoid injuries;
- Serrated blades can be thicker than straight blades, so make sure the sharpener is large enough;
6. Excellent Axe And Hatchet Sharpeners and Stones
It’s possible to use knife sharpeners for sharpening your ax, but it’ll be a weary task and can be dangerous. Specialized hatchet and axe tone sharpeners are definelty the way to go.
The unique design of these sharpeners offer on the go performance that can be used to sharpen axes and hatchets and similar cutting tools quickly, easily and safely.
- Easily portable and carried around for quick in the field use;
- Durable to withstand the in-built breakage forces;
- Features angled edges to sharpen different blade sections well;
The above-discussed options are among the popular types of knife sharpeners and stones you should consider buying. They help to keep your knives, axes, hatchets and other tools nice and sharp. That helps to increase their effectiveness at work, and therefore, reducing on time wastage.
Every type of sharpener and stone has the recommended type of a knife that it should sharpen. There is no “one size fits all” when it comes to sharpening specific blade types. Your best bet will be to buy a couple different knife sharpeners if you own more than one type of knife.